In the cooler months, makeup trends tend to be more dramatic, with darker colors and bolder accents. Summer, by contrast, lends itself better to simple makeup looks (like no-makeup makeup). Maybe it’s born out of a desire to keep things feeling light, or perhaps it’s because you want to avoid stepping out with melted makeup. Either way, the end result is the same: Come warm weather, many of us find ourselves putting full-coverage formulas on the back burner and opting for makeup that’s a little lighter.
If you’re interested in adopting a more low-key, minimalist makeup look for summer but aren’t sure where to start, you’re in luck. Here, we’re sharing an easy makeup tutorial perfect for hot, sunny days. Keep reading to learn how it's done, plus discover a few tips and tricks for keeping your makeup looking fresh during the dog days of summer.
Our Easy Makeup Tutorial for Hot Summer Days
To execute this simple makeup look, you’ll need just a few products: a multitasking face primer, some brow gel, a creamy blush stick, and lip gloss. Here are the products we recommend:
Face Freezie Cooling Primer + Moisturizer: This cooling 10-in-1 face primer preps, evens, smooths, minimizes pores, tightens, hydrates, sculpts, softens, calms, and revitalizes skin. Use the skincare-makeup hybrid alone for a hydrated, bare-skin look, or apply it before foundation for a fresh-faced finish.
The Brow Glue Instant Brow Styler: We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: Well-groomed brows can transform your entire look. To tame your arches and help keep them in place all day, reach for The Brow Glue Instant Styler. The flake-free formula delivers up to 16 hours of non-sticky, waterproof hold.
Wonder Stick Blush: For effortless makeup looks, reach for our Wonder Stick Blush. Each dual-ended blush stick comes equipped with two complementary shades, so you can customize your flush to your liking. Plus, it blends like a dream and melts into the skin with a soft, natural-looking finish.
Fat Oil Lip Drip: Give your lips a hint of color and lots of look-at-me shine with our Fat Oil Lip Drip. This tinted lip gloss is infused with a trio of oils—raspberry, cloudberry, and vegan squalane—and delivers up to 12 hours of non-sticky hydration.
Step 1: Prep Your Skin
After washing your face, apply a thin, even layer of Face Freezie Cooling Primer + Moisturizer, avoiding your immediate eye area. You’ll want to allow the moisturizing formula to absorb before applying anything else. If you want something to do in the meantime, chill out (literally) by placing the Face Freezie Reusable Undereye Cooling Patches on your under-eye area. Not only will these cooling eye patches help diminish puffiness and dark circles, but the cooling sensation is especially refreshing on a hot summer’s day.
Step 2: Apply Blush to Your Cheekbones
Next, reach for your Wonder Stick Blush. First, use the darker shade like you would contour, drawing a line just beneath your cheekbone. Then, apply the lighter shade immediately above that. With a damp makeup sponge, blend the creamy formula out so there are no harsh lines. The effect should be softly-sculpted and sunkissed but in a totally natural way.
Pro Tip: Want even more summer color? Apply a small amount of the lighter blush shade to the bridge of your nose for a flattering, just-got-back-from-the-beach look.
Step 3: Brush Your Brows Into Place
Onto the third step: brows. Give yours shape with The Brow Glue Instant Brow Styler. You can use the brow glue’s included spoolie brush to brush your brow hairs up for a fluffy, lifted effect, or brush them in the direction of hair growth for a more natural look with long-lasting hold. We love the transparent brow gel for a soft, barely-there makeup look. If you want color, we have four tinted shades to choose from—opt for one that closely matches (or is slightly lighter than) your natural brow color for a natural-looking finish.
Step 4: Finish With Lip Gloss
Finally, drench your lips in shine with Fat Oil Lip Drip. There are seven barely-there tinted shades to choose from, plus one clear version for those who want shine without added color. Pick whichever shade speaks to you most and use the included applicator to apply it and tie your minimalist makeup look together.
How to Keep Your Makeup Looking Fresh in the Summer
You probably don’t need us to tell you that cosmetics and hot, humid weather don’t mix very well. But while extreme weather can interfere with staying power in some cases (hello, melted eyeliner), the right habits can help ensure your makeup stays fresh throughout the heat. Here, learn a few of our favorite tips for keeping makeup looking its best during the hottest days of the season—no matter how you choose to wear it.
1. Always Start With Primer: When you’re rushing to get out the door in the morning, adding another step to your routine can feel like a hassle. But trust us: using primer is key to ensure your makeup holds up throughout the day.
2. Use Lightweight Products: The last thing you want is for your skin to feel weighed down (especially when it’s already hot out). When possible, opt for lightweight, oil-free products.
3. Opt for Waterproof Products: Sweating is often unavoidable when temps are soaring. Using waterproof makeup can help make sure your look doesn’t run when you’re sweating or dealing with super-humid weather.
4. Stick to Cream Formulas: For a natural, fresh-faced look, reach for cream or gel makeup, rather than powder formulas, when possible.
5. Lock in Your Look: Don’t underestimate the power of a good setting spray. When spritzed onto your face at the end of your routine, setting spray can help extend the wear of your makeup and give your skin a healthy-looking finish.
6. Blot Away Shine: Hot weather can make your skin look greasy fast. Combat unwanted shine without disrupting your makeup by using oil-absorbing blotting sheets to help mattify your skin.
7. Wear a Hat: Hats can pull double-duty, shielding your skin from the sun and helping to ensure that said sun doesn’t melt off your makeup. If you plan on spending time outdoors, opt for one with a wide brim to help keep your skin—and your natural makeup look—protected.
8. Use Multitasking Products: Even with the absolute best application techniques, sometimes, you’ll find that you need to touch up your makeup. Using multipurpose products ensures that you won’t have to overstuff your bag to touch up your makeup.
Next: Need some inspiration for your warm-weather get-togethers? Check out our article 14 Fun and Flirty Party Makeup Ideas.